06 November 2011

I’ve been wondering…

Are people who are idiots born that way, or are they idiots because as a society we allow them to be?  I mean this in all seriousness.  I’ve met some people who just are about as clueless as they come.  Some of them are super nice individuals, but they just don’t seem to understand, retain, or care about things.  They can sound like a moron, and they don’t even seem to care!  I don’t get it!  Perfect example: On my study abroad to London, one girl asked (in a crazy loud voice in the middle of a busy tube station) why there was a musician playing “My Country Tis’ of Thee” because, isn’t that an American song?  Me:… Um, yeah.  It’s “God Save the Queen”, and we stole it from them… Of course this is also the girl who got left at the train stop simply because she just failed to get on the train with the rest of the group AND while visiting Paris, looked through a view finder on the Eifel Tower and saw one of the Lady Liberties and commented, I didn’t know you could see New York City from here!  Me:… *walk away*

Part of the reason I’m wondering is because I want to know if society needs a good solid slap in the face for letting people get that way and then interact with the rest of the population.  I’ve seen kids who play dumb to get attention from a parent, teacher, or friend.  I’ve seen teenagers and young adults do it to look more attractive (Epic fail by the way.  There is nothing sexier than smart as a friend once told me and I agree whole heartedly.) to someone they are interested in.  I’ve seen adults do it to get out of things they don’t want to do or pay for (I see this especially in the elderly.  It’s infuriating!).  Part of me wonders if we just encourage, or at least accept this behavior for long enough, that the individual will eventually stop trying because they know that the people around them will just allow it.

On the other side, there are some people who come from some great families with very smart people and they just seemed to get skipped.  They just don’t get it their whole lives.  Beginning to end they just float through life like it’s a grand merry-go-round and that’s all they need to know.

I don’t get it.  I’d be embarrassed if it was me.  I know there are times when I look like a moron and I’m not the leading expert on every subject.  We all have our moments when we are the idiot, but sometimes I think it’s a state of being for some people, rather than a moment in their life.  Give me your feedback please.  I’m curious what you think.

1 comments:

The Kammeyers said...

Haha. I love your comment "for some people they just seem to get skipped." Sad, but soooo true! Some people are just clueless, and don't even know it.

Love ya, Tiff! We need to have a phone chat again soon!

 
template by suckmylolly.com